Keeping the songwriting momentum going post-FAWM

Skip to the bottom

• @odilongreen  Mar 2022

I was very happy with my output this FAWM, including a demo of an EP that I am quite pleased with and that plan to revise a bit and release. But I always do OK during FAWM itself, and every year, caught up in the excitement and endorphins, I promise myself that I'll keep the momentum going in March and beyond. I know I won't keep the same pace, but maybe a song a week or so.

But then I always seem to fade, going largely dormant (in a songwriting sense) for the four months until 50/90. I really don't want that to happen again; I very much want to push myself to keep making music during this "off season." I know the motivation has to come from within, and it's up to me to set aside the time and simply *do* it. But does anyone have any other communities, tips or advice they use to keep themselves motivated?

(I do know about Songfight; anything else out there?)

• @fuzzy  Mar 2022

I've always been in the same boat; I only write during FAWM and 50/90.
    This year, however, @nahlej381 and I have decided to form an Experimental noise band, and so we are trading tracks and having fun making music.
    So I guess finding a writing partner is keeping me going and motivated.

• @odilongreen  Mar 2022

@fuzzy I have a couple side-projects with various friends too, and we all have big plans and hopes and intentions. The problem is when *neither* of us feels like working for days / weeks / months on end (which is distressingly often)!

• @ianuarius Mar 2022

Suggestion-- Come joing everybody in Album Workshop!
    https://discord.gg/UQWuAjdvy9

The idea is to take songs we have and make releases out of them. :)
    Maybe it's not what you're looking for, but I'm definitely at that point where I want to start getting these songs out the door. Yea, they're my babies, but 5 years is like 25 in song years!

• @fuzzy  Mar 2022

Get motivated, @odilongreen!!!
    Yes, lack of motivation is definitely a factor.
    I dunno, write it on the calendar where you can see it every day (does anyone besides me use a real ink-and-paper wall calendar anymore?!?). A deadline definitely motivates me.

• @johnstaples  Mar 2022

A large part of my motivation to write songs is the lovely feedback I get at FAWM and 50/90. I fully understand we're all here to support one another but it still feels good to get a nice comment!

Outside of these challenges no one listens to or cares one whit about my music. Since I have no near-term plans to play live (or try and start my own cult), I don't see that changing any time soon.

I've even written a particularly good song in the "off season" and found myself wishing I'd waited for FAWM so I'd get a few listens!

I'll be retiring from full-time work in a few years so maybe things will change then.

• @kahlo2013  Mar 2022

Still writing and tweaking and playing a little/lot now with trying to create and practice music. FAWM always inspires me to practice!

• @tcelliott  Mar 2022

I do songfight pretty regularly. That's a song to a title very 10 days or so.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...