Getting things off your i-pad and onto FAWM

Skip to the bottom

• @berni1954  Feb 2022

I am off to Paris tomorrow for five days and will probably miss the rest of FAWM. But in case I find some time on my hands there (unlikely, with a partner in tow, I know, but one lives in hope) I thought I'd take my i-pad. But how would I get the tracks off Garage Band and onto FAWM, I asked myself.

So, I did a little experiment on Garage Band. I recorded a short song (playing with harmonies) then I sought a way to upload it to my FAWM Hosting site. But as with all things Apple, they either don't allow you to do what you want to do with your own device (that you paid good money for) or else they make it so complicated that you give up. After a Google & YouTube search I discovered that my i-pad is too old to have the version of Garage Band which apparently can save as MP3.

So, I got it off the i-pad by simply recording it onto a ZOOM H1. But I had to post it here using my PC.

If I had managed, using the i-pad, I'd have been able, perhaps, to have posted any new songs I might have come up with in the next few days (skirmishes, etc) while I am up in Paris.

Has anyone any suggestions as to how I can achieve this miracle in the face of the Late Steve Jobs' obsession with controlling how I use his kit?

PS the Experiment is here.
    https://fawm.org/songs/135271/
    Can any GB users guess the instrument I used, besides the voice?

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 2022

There may be quicker steps, but here’s what I did last week when all I had was my iphone.

I recorded live and acoustically to the voice memo app (built in).
    From there the three dots next to the recording gives option to save to files.
    I then had to convert the file via an online free converter website to make it an mp3. Saving that new version to files again.
    Then logged into files.fawm etc and uploaded it as normal there.

Main thing is finding the damn file once you’ve saved it!

• @celineellis  Feb 2022

alternatively - you could open the track in imovie and using a single image make a video for youtube upload so you can post on here?

• @berni1954  Feb 2022

@celineellis

That's a great option. If only I can remember what my youtube password is. On my PC it is filled in automatically :-)

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...