Virtual FAWM Over Reception in Kumospace, Saturday, March 5 (9-11 pm GMT/4-6 pm EST)

Skip to the bottom

• @kenmattsson  Feb 2022

Hello all,

I think we're all going for the home stretch, I wanted to get everyone thinking about my Virtual FAWM Over Reception on Saturday, March 5, 2022 at 9-11 p.m. GMT/4-6 p.m. Eastern (US) Standard Time. Come for the whole time or drop in for a few minutes. You're welcome to stay for however long you'd like. We've had some lovely discussions with people from around the world at the previous two receptions.

For this we'll be using Kumospace, which functions like a virtual house, with different rooms, and you can only hear people who are in proximity near you, so you can have private conversations just by moving to a different part of a room, just like at a real party. You can also join in with conversations just by moving closer to people. You can even do to different rooms, get a virtual drink, listen to music or watch a video, and a few other things. More information what Kumospace is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPU_8V6w7JU.

Notes:
    * I am hosting it at https://www.kumospace.com/beacon.
    * You will need to register with Kumospace, but that should take you a minute or less.
    * I have found that for older versions of Kumospace, it worked better on a laptop than a mobile device. They might have fixed it but if you have an issue, you might want to resign in on a new device.
    * When you come in, there are four different rooms you can join: the Main Reception, Stage, Chill Out Lounge, and the Rooftop Bar . Come into the Main Reception first to get oriented, and you can go into one of the other rooms if it gets crowded and you want to get away.
    * I have a limit of 30 people total. If we are full up, you'll have to wait in the lobby until somebody leaves.

I'll also monitor this Forum Topic during the time, so if you're having a problem getting in, leave a message here.

Hope to see many of you there!

• @kenmattsson  Feb 2022

Here are the various times around the world (as best as I can figure!)

Saturday, March 5:
    1 pm - San Francisco/Seattle/Vancouver
    2 pm - Denver/Santa Fe/Edmonton
    3 pm - Chicago/Houston/Winnipeg
    4 pm - New York/Boston/Toronto
    5 pm - San Juan/Halifax
    5:30 pm - St. John's
    6 pm - Rio de Janeiro
    9 pm - London/Dublin/Lisbon
    10 pm - Berlin/Rome/Amsterdam
    11 pm - Helsinki/Tel Aviv/Cape Town

Sunday, March 6
    1 am - Dubai
    5 am - Singapore/Hong Kong/Perth
    7 am - Brisbane
    7:30 am - Adelaide
    8 am - Sydney/Melbourne
    10 am - Auckland/Wellington

• @coolparadiso  Feb 2022

I get home late the evening before, so i should be in for it this time! Nice one @kenmattsson

• @coolparadiso  Feb 2022

Almost civilised time!

• @nadine Feb 2022

Thanks! I hope I can make it this time :)

• @tunecat  Feb 2022

Great idea!

• @sheilerk  Feb 2022

Sounds like fun! That's my birthday!

• @kahlo2013  Feb 2022

That would be lovely!!!

• @gm7  Feb 2022

Nice..Hope to be there1

• @kenmattsson  Feb 2022

Just giving this a bump so that more people might see it. Hope you consider joining the group!

• @wylddandelyon Feb 2022

I might (or might not) have a small local gathering of musicians to attend that evening. Or I might not, people are still talking about when it will be. So, if I miss it, @sheilerk, have a great and happy birthday.

Lately I've seen you folks more than my local music friends! It's a strange and wonderful world, isn't it?

• @outinpublicdrummer  Feb 2022

I'd love to drop in again! Had fun at the first one :)

• @andygetch  Feb 2022

Hoping to stop by for a bit. It depends on when our visitors arrive.

• @wrenarcher  Mar 2022

Not sure I’ll be able to make it but I really hope I can. If so, I would be about an hour late. I participated in a zoom call, which I know is different from kumospace, but that was fun seeing everyone’s face. So I’m really hoping I can make this.

• @beacon Mar 2022

Yes, @wrenarcher I hope you and a number of others can make it. It should be a fun, and relaxing time.

• @pianoonthepatio Mar 2022

Can't wait!

• @fearlessflight2014  Mar 2022

I’ll be staying at a friends place but if I remember my laptop and remember to get the passcode and I wake up on time… then I’m THERE. Or I’ll be at someone’s birthday party unexpectedly….

• @dragondreams  Mar 2022

It's not often I get invited anywhere (even my imaginary friends have stopped talking to me) so I'll be there! :-D

• @sherrycanary Mar 2022

I know a few of you.
    @sheilerk , I am going to try to be there, if nothing else to meet you!

• @sherrycanary Mar 2022

Also to meet you, Liz.
    Been a fan from the beginning

• @sph  Mar 2022

I hope to make it. The other meetings have been fun

• @cicpisces  Mar 2022

Interested.

• @metalfoot  Mar 2022

I might be there... have a funeral that day so I'm not committing, depends when it's done.

• @gm7  Mar 2022

@dragondreams your not imaginary, your legendary! Hope to see you there. OMG that is a great song title???

• @beacon Mar 2022

The only thing I'm afraid of now is having too many people for the space! Thanks all for considering attending.

• @beacon Mar 2022

Just a reminder that this is happening tomorrow. I hope to see a number of you!

• @prsongsmith  Mar 2022

Looking forward to it! Thanks for making this happen @kenmattsson !

• @majormajormajormajor  Mar 2022

Holy hell, and here I thought I'd missed it!

• @beacon Mar 2022

Nope @majormajormajormajor it's in a little over 6 hours from now! 9-11 p.m. GMT/ 4-6 p.m. EST

• @tunecat  Mar 2022

Looking gif this hope to be able to join!

• @beacon Mar 2022

Hello all, here's a request if anyone who has been to my previous events in Kumospace could help out:

I've got something on my arm that I really need to get checked out at the doctors, and the only urgent care appointment I can get today is at 3:30 EST, so I would be late to the online event. The space really is open and I just usually explain things. Is there anyone who can tell me that they will be there at 4:00 p.m. today that can answer any questions if need be, and I'll be back as soon as I can? Thanks!

• @beacon Mar 2022

@andygetch @wobbiewobbit @coolparadiso @gm7 @nadine @sph @nancyrost @dragondreams Hey all of you! I know you've been in earlier Kumospace sessions, so I know that you know your way around and can answer questions for people. Could one (or more) of you plan on getting in there at 4:00 p.m. EST/9 p.m. GMT to greet people? Since I have to do a doctor's appointment and don't know when I'll get back (hopefully by 4:45 p.m EST or so, but with the doctor's office you never know), it would be best if someone is there. I can access it on my phone but wanted to have backup. Thanks!

• @elesimo  Mar 2022

@beacon I'll be there at the start to greet people, I can probably stay for at least 1 hour. Hope everything goes well at the doctor!

• @gm7  Mar 2022

Ok...I will help set up the beverage table!

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 2022

yes i will be around too :)

• @andygetch  Mar 2022

@beacon we are expecting company so I am not sure how long I will be in the virtual space, however, I'm happy to help out while I am there.

@beacon - I'll try to be there. Out and about visiting with sick relative at the moment and at the mercy of public transport.

• @beacon Mar 2022

Thanks everyone! I'll get back as soon as I can, but enjoy each others company!

• @outinpublicdrummer  Mar 2022

I’ll be there around 9:30 GMT :) (4:30 EST)

• @coolparadiso  Mar 2022

Looks like i can make it as well! So im going there now

• @elesimo  Mar 2022

Bump! This is happening now!

• @gm7  Mar 2022

can't sign it...anyone else having an issue?

• @guatecoop  Mar 2022

I was able to sign in, but couldn’t hear anyone. Oh well. Looked cool though. It’s my wife’s birthday so I’m not going to figure it out today. Have fun!

• @tcelliott  Mar 2022

I keep getting an error. I'm assuming too many people, but it could be other things.

• @gm7  Mar 2022

The erro is "I have no internet connection" but I do........odd

• @tcelliott  Mar 2022

Same here. I deleted my account. I have homework to do.

• @elesimo  Mar 2022

I had that problem with Firefox, was able to join using Chrome only.

• @gm7  Mar 2022

I use Chrome ..still tells me no connection....so .I gave up..oh well.

I've not been home long, but I can't sign in either. On Chrome, no connection.

• @beacon Mar 2022

Sorry everyone! I had to got to the doctor's and they did bloodwork and an xray, so I was only at my own reception for a bit. I'm at home and okay and on antibiotics. I got back tomorrow to have them recheck on me.

Sorry that @dragondreams @gm7 and @tcelliott couldn't make it in. I'm not sure why.

I'm planning on doing another one at some other time this month.

• @wrenarcher  Mar 2022

I was able to check in using a browser called Brave. The only problem I had was trying to use my mixer and mic setup. Unplugging and changing to internal mic fixed that.

So much fun to see a number of people whose FAWM handles i recognize. Sorry i wasn’t able to stay for long and that i missed others who showed up earlier. I was unfortunately an hour late.

• @kahlo2013  Mar 2022

Hey hey! Thanks @kenmattsson for providing all of the lovely rooms and refreshments for the soirée and to @wobbiewobbit and @coolparadiso for hosting the gathering and making everyone feel at home. Nice to chat with the people who came. Sorry I had to leave but my son came home from work and was wanting to spend some time .. and since I hadn’t spent much time with him during FAWM I needed to connect with him. I had had plenty of the virtual drinks and donuts anyone - and no one wants to be known as that drunken gal with a glazed look in her eyes and glazed donut crumbs on her face and fingers.

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 2022

@kahlo2013 hahaha - was good to see you and everyone :)

• @coolparadiso  Mar 2022

Wondered what happened @guatecoop saw you appear and disapear, saw @tcelliott as well

• @beacon Mar 2022

And thank you everyone that came to my event where I was mostly absent. Just to answer questions that people might have, I was diagnosed with Septic Elbow Bursitis, which if not treated can become a big problem very quickly. I had it 12.5 years ago and ended up in the hospital for 6 days on drip antibiotics and out of work for 6 weeks.

I knew if I didn't get the earliest doctor's appointment I could, it could get out of control fast. Luckily, since I went early and got treatment (I've been to the doctor's every day for the past four days getting antibiotics flooding into my body) I caught it early enough and I'm on the mend. Still a bit tired from it, but recovering and hopefully better by the weekend.

Thanks for understanding!

• @nadine Mar 2022

Get well soon!

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery, @beacon!

• @wrenarcher  Mar 2022

Whoa Ken... that sounds awful. Glad to hear you're on the mend and hope you get to 100% soon.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...