OK, this might be sinful but... Discord for FAWMers?

Skip to the bottom

• @rkeeling75  Feb 2022

I've read a few threads and I've heard similar thoughts in a few posts:

'I'm never as productive as I am during FAWM.'
    'Yeah, group X is ok but it isn't as social as FAWM.'

I love this community. I'm not as active as I want to be but damn it I'm trying lol. And I love that this site is only open during the challenge. But I would also love to see a place that is open year round, that has the culture of FAWM. A place to post our successes, cheer others on, swap four track tapes (I'm getting ready to drop way too much money on a 464 just so I can try the challenge next year), share ideas and just be in a group of positive, awesome, groovy people.

I'm not a fan of FB (lots of toxic stuff on there) but I love Discord servers; they can be focused, closed groups, without the ads and distractions.

So... is there a FAWM discord server? Or a reason there isn't? Or a place like that?

• @katestantonsings  Feb 2022

"I'm not a fan of FB (lots of toxic stuff on there) but I love Discord servers; they can be focused, closed groups, without the ads and distractions." I second this 100%. I don't believe there is one atm (correct me if I am wrong), but it would be neat to have several hashtags and servers for collabs, educational growth, lyrics, or just feel-good music chats.

• @whispermouse  Feb 2022

There IS a FAWM Discord, don't know how active it is, but it exists. I haven't seen anyone post about it this year...
    There's also a Slack: https://fawm.org/forums/topic/12031/

• @metalfoot  Feb 2022

Yes, there are both FAWM slack and discords; the Slack is probably busier than the Discord but in full disclosure, I spend more time at the Slack so that colours my view.

• @jayjay  Feb 2022

Does anyone use Line? I get so confused by Discord. I don’t open it much as I haven’t figured out how to leave any group I’ve joined for gaming in last 3 years lol.

@jayjay Yes, I am active on LINE. I love that app.

• @jayjay  Feb 2022

Me too @katestantonsings So easy to use. Wish there was a similar group as this there.

@Jayjay Reddit has some songwriting groups, but nothing I've found has been as positive and encouraging for creativity as FAWM.

• @rkeeling75  Feb 2022

I've used Slack and Discord and Teams for years now. Of all of them I like Discord much better. Adding channels, moderating user rights, file sharing, and the terms of use are all much nicer in my opinion. But to each their own.

I saw the Slack server but didn't see much by way of channels.

(For @jayjay Open discord.com in a web browser, log in, and right click on the server you want to leave)

I'd also recommend turning off all notifications for Discord, as they can get disruptive and quite annoying.

• @andygetch  Feb 2022

+1 on the FAWM slack although activity level falls off outside of FAWM and 5090. The NaNoWriMo region I am in and NaSoAlMo uses two separate Discords. Both have little activity from December to mid-October.

• @nadine Feb 2022

I'd join a Discord group, cause I don't have Slack and I don't wanna open another account. I'm also active on Facebook.

• @rkeeling75  Feb 2022

Does someone have the link to the Discord group @metalfoot mentioned?

• @jayjay  Feb 2022

@rkeeling75 I’m only on ipad. Probably why Discord has me prisoner lol

Berklee's Coursera courses usually have Discord groups which are organized by instruments (i.e. #piano #guitars) DAWs, and other topics to help one's growth in songwriting. I've met some really cool folks through this avenue.

• @whispermouse  Feb 2022

https://discord.gg/qbWKQDxu is the FAWM Discord I'm in - it's very quiet.

@jayjay it particularly holds you prisoner on a smartphone or tablet because of the notifications. I joined a Shakespeare server for school and people were chatting about food. Stay on topic!!! LOL. I don't want to be notified about spaghetti.

• @jayjay  Feb 2022

@katestantonsings I want to be notified about spagbol. Join me up lol

• @metalfoot  Feb 2022

https://discord.gg/Tmhzj7BF is the FAWM server I'm aware of

• @jayjay  Feb 2022

@katestantonsings lol. I had to click it. Now do I need to a pasta pattacake song? XD

@jayjay New FAWM Challenge--shitty 80's cartoon songs!!! YES!
    I'll do Link's Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me princess!!!

• @jayjay  Feb 2022

@katestantonsings carebears ftw. Creepy little gits

• @phenola Feb 2022

sure, let's all sit on a Big Tech platform and share songs about how bad capitalism is

@phenola but if we don't share the songs on social media, it means they don't truly exist. ;p we are bought and sold to the highest bidders.

• @rkeeling75  Feb 2022

Big tech is bad and it can (and does) hurt us; just like any tool. I try to interact with it safely, on my terms and in as positive of a way as I can. That includes looking on the bright side of it. Without social media/big tech I wouldn't have met so many kindred souls who share this mad hobby of ours. And I'm in the camp that art needs to be seen (or heard). I don't need the likes; I need to put my attempt at art out into the universe to prove to myself that I will not shy away from the challenge; that I can measure my progress against myself. If I hide my music away, I will make excuses. Social media is the new town square. I just try to pick the town(s) I live in lol.

Which is why I dig a space for FAWM in my life all year round. :-)

Thanks for pointing to the discord server!

• @outinpublicdrummer  Feb 2022

Joined the discord link @whispermouse posted. I installed Slack a few weeks ago but haven't had the chance to try it out yet. I'll join that too!

• @andygetch  Feb 2022

ok I'm in! With notifications disabled of course LOL.

@andygetch I'll join NaNoWriMo, too! I want to practice lyrics, poetry, and prose more.

• @andygetch  Feb 2022

@katestantonsings I must confess that after a couple of legitimate 50k wordage outputs and a few wordy camp NaNoWriMo's, I gravitated first towards having more fun writing the soundtrack to my stories than writing the story itself. The last few years I have just done a bunch of free-writing to generate song ideas and use NaNo as my social outlet since NaSoAlMo has almost none LOL.

@andygetch writing is a ton of work to get it right. I get so lazy! Maybe it will discipline me to work on it each day…

• @robynmackenzie  Feb 2022

@whispermouse I tried joining but it says the invite link is invalid or expired. :(

• @andygetch  Feb 2022

here ya go @robynmackenzie https://discord.gg/Yc5Uy3fA apparently links are only good for 7 days.

• @robynmackenzie  Feb 2022

Thanks @andygetch!

• @tjeff  May 2022

Can someone post the link once again for the FAWM Discord group? Thx.

• @andygetch  May 2022

@tjeff here you go. https://discord.gg/fD5g9z9C
    It is pretty quiet over there lately.

• @mahtowin  May 2022

I will try discord, too. And I hope I will check it out … but the idea to stay in contact this way seems attractive to me.

@katestantonsings what is NaNoWriMo? Can you post the link?

• @ambroise May 2022

@mahtowin NAtional NOvember WRIting MOnth is a creative challenge similar to FAWM. They write a book (50 000 words) in 30 days. The most obvious link is https://nanowrimo.org/

But you could also check the Nanowrimo forum (https://forums.nanowrimo.org) to find out if and where and when writers living in your neighborough gather and talk about their writing projects, complain about their writing issues and try to help each other.

• @mahtowin  May 2022

@ambroise thanks :-)

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...