How To Edit Your Forum Post On Mobile

Skip to the bottom

• @johnstaples  Feb 2022

I often finish a post in the forum before I notice my typos. But how do I edit my goofy post on mobile? There's no edit link in the FAWM mobile website that I can find. So, to edit you have to...

1) switch to desktop site in your browser at which point you'll be logged out
    2) log in again
    3) locate the post
    4) tap the empty space to the right of your name to expose the edit link
    5) click the edit link, make your changes and save them
    6) turn off desktop site browser mode (and you'll be logged out again)
    7) log in once more

A bit of a pain but it works (on Android at least). Oh and while in desktop mode you'll prolly also accidentally click the report post link! No worries as the mods will likely figure out you didn't intend to report your own post. :)

• @petemurphy  Feb 2022

Thanks John. I've been wondering if there's a way to do this.

• @wrenarcher  Feb 2022

Not sure how i figured this out but on an iPhone i turn it sideways and the “edit button shows…. usually. Sometimes i have to tap the comment then it shows. I’m using a browser called Brave. Not sure if that matters or not.

• @elesimo  Feb 2022

Oh, wow! Thanks for the tip, @wrenarcher, it also works on Android!

• @gardeningangel1  Feb 2022

@wrenarcher I also use Brave and the icon looks so much like the one for BandLab I keep opening the wrong one!

• @johnstaples  Feb 2022

@elesimo I tried it on my android and it doesn't work. :( I use the default Chrome that came with Android 12. So I still have to do the 7-step process if I wanna edit!

• @fuzzy  Feb 2022

@johnstaples, as a former English teacher, I would suggest that you proofread your work before you submit it. ;)
    Seriously though, yeah, I often jump back and forth between the phone and laptop to edit stuff.

• @elesimo  Feb 2022

@johnstaples forgot to say, I use duckduckgo on Android.

• @johnstaples  Feb 2022

@fuzzy sad thing is I DO PROOFREAD EVERYTHING yet I still miss stuff. So when I do my final proofread, AFTER I post, I catch the last of my mistakes! Arg. Also, just got a new phone and the auto-connect, er, autoerotica, er, autocorrect is driving me crazy!

• @keithcuts  Feb 2022

Thanks @johnstaples

@wrenarcher AW MANN I’ve been trying to figure that out for YEARS.
    Turn the phone sideways and Poof ‘edit ‘ button appears.
    Legendary. Thanks !

• @fuzzy  Feb 2022

Yeah, @johnstaples, it's that autocorrect that gets me every time too.

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 2022

I'm on Android 12 Chrome and I do need to turn my phone sideways, but it appears I can edit posts if I do so. Anyone else on the same system able to check if they can, so we can see if @johnstaples or I am the anomoly.

• @johnstaples  Feb 2022

@helenseviltwin yes it would be nice to know if there is a setting or something that would allow editing without all the BS of logging in/out and switching browser modes. FYI, this is not a new issue. I've had this same problem during all of my 10 years at FAWM with 4 different Android phones/ versions during that time.

• @johnstaples  Feb 2022

One other thing that occurred to me...if you are already using FAWM.org in desktop mode then yes it will allow editing. I'm specifically talking about using the site in mobile/responsive mode.

• @jmadison  Feb 2022

I'm glad for this thread. I just tested on my phone (Android with Brave browser) and I -do- get the edit button when I turn the phone sideways.

• @vomvorton  Feb 2022

Doesn't work for me on Android / Chrome. Might be to do with screen size / resolution?

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 2022

@johnstaples - yes, mobile site. I have to turn my phone sideways and tap on the comment before the buttons show up. Previous years, I don't think I had to turn it sideways, but I do this year. It might be because I have a new phone, but the screen is larger than previous phone, so that would be weird.

Anyway, I have no answers, just trying to narrow down the problem so Burr and co have more to go on when they have time for bug fixes.

• @vomvorton  Feb 2022

A million years late, but just had a look on my android tablet, and I can edit there. So I think it is just a screen size thing, it must get hidden when the screen is below a certain size.

• @johnstaples  Feb 2022

@vomvorton but I suspect on your tablet the website is simply in desktop mode and not in the mobile/responsive mode. Do you see the left sidebar when on your tablet? If so I'm pretty sure that indicates desktop mode.

• @johnstaples  Feb 2022

Thanks @helenseviltwin! In the spirit of narrowing down the problem I used the inspector in Firefox and found that the following piece of CSS, when removed, seems to make the report abuse and edit links work on mobile,

.hidden-xs {
    display: none !important;
    }

however, this has the undesirable side effect of causing the sidebar section to expand thus pushing the content of the page further down the screen on mobile.

I'm sure @burrsettles is aware of this and there is likely a lot more to it that prevents it from being easily resolved. I just have to be more careful with my posting or resign myself to the 7-step method of editing I described in the original post!

• @jmadison  Feb 2022

Interestingly, I just discovered that on the songs page in portrait mode the song tags are hidden, but turning sideways (landscape) I can see the song tags.

I need to start trying that more often. Who knows what I might be missing.

• @vomvorton  Feb 2022

@johnstaples I still have the option to tick and switch into desktop mode when using the table, so I'm not sure. But seems like you've gone deeper than I have so I'll leave this alone now.

• @celineellis  Feb 2022

@wrenarcher omg you genius!!! Thank you!!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...