Jazz melody searching for song

Skip to the bottom

• @nadine Feb 2022

Hey FAWMers,

I wrote a catchy melody but I'm completely stuck. I figured out it's a lydian b7 scale, but I have absolutely NO idea about jazz theory, harmonisation and how to create a song around this. Everything I try sounds weird! This theme seems to works well with a shuffle beat, so I can imagine it being part of a quick jazz, bebop, big band, jazz blues or boogie.

*files removed*

Feel free to use my files and ideas, but please credit me (inside FAWM as mention - Outside FAWM with real name and backlink), post your song here and send me a link to your ideas. We should talk if you want to release the song on a label or streaming service. I'm eager to listen.

Bookmarking this thread may be a good idea, if you wanna join later. Maybe a vocalist or bassist likes your idea?!

• @downburst  Feb 2022

Can I piggyback on this? I'm looking for a jazz pianist myself. Just want to run something past you.

• @nancyrost  Feb 2022

Jazz pianist here willing to give it a try.

• @jwhanberry  Feb 2022

I believe Lydian b7 is the 4th mode of the Melodic minor.

• @nadine Feb 2022

@downburst Thank you, I've mailed the draft to you.

I'll write into this topic and contact you if we're stuck or need another person to drop in :) I'm psyched to listen!

• @sherrylynnlee Feb 2022

I topline jazz a lot, would be happy to help.

• @downburst  Feb 2022

@nadine No, I'm not a jazz pianist! I'm looking for one, just like you.

• @deadhead  Feb 2022

I play and write a fair amount of jazz as well. Mostly piano / standard piano trio, but sometimes add guitar and work with other instruments as well. More than happy to help out!

• @nadine Feb 2022

@downburst Will you try with another instrument or should I give the draft to the next one?

• @downburst  Feb 2022

I am no jazzer! I’m barely a musician. Let Someone better take a look.

• @fourzeroes Feb 2022

@nadine Maybe it can be a challenge - share it with many people and see what they make of it? I don't want to be your only hope of being something, but I'll happily give it a try if others more competent are giving your idea a chance of a good home.

• @nadine Feb 2022

@fourzeroes That's a great idea, thanks! I haven't thought about that before. Lemme check where I can temporarily upload my file.

• @nadine Feb 2022

@downburst, @nancyrost, @jwhanberry, @sherrylynnlee, @deadhead, @fourzeroes
    I've uploaded my draft of the jazzy hookline into the initial post of the thread. Please check!

• @deadhead  Feb 2022

@nadine Here's what I got so far. Probably will tweak a couple of things, but will give it a whirl when I get back home in a couple of days. A lot of influence from Charlie Parker (eg, Yardbird Suite, Au Privave).

https://static.ajrussell.ca/FAWM%202022/Blues%20for%20Nadine.pdf

I'm interested in seeing what everyone else comes up with!

• @nadine Feb 2022

@deadhead Cool, thanks! I'm from pop music I never used a 7b5 chord, I'm super curious how this sounds! No hurries :-)

• @dock  Feb 2022

I've been playing jazz for a few years now, was the piano in a big band for 4 years, did some arranging. Glad to help if you like.

• @nadine Feb 2022

@dock Just pick the sheet and try. It's open. I don't know if I drop in later, cause I have absolutely no experience in these genres. It's also fine for me if you finish a song.

• @ohljazz  Feb 2022

Here's another try- interesting melody to play with! https://bit.ly/3swSnEn

• @tunecat  Feb 2022

That’s much more readable. I’ve played a lot of jazz but not necessarily much cop at piano jazz or indeed harmonising. Leaving it to the experts!!

• @deadhead  Feb 2022

Here's a version put together from the sheet I posted above: https://fawm.org/songs/129878/

Its neat how distinct each of the three versions are. Let's keep them coming!

• @nadine Feb 2022

Wow its so interesting to listen and see all these ideas. So many different approaches! We have to think about a title but I'm so uninspired!

@dock Nice upbeat blues version. I'm working on it this weekend, let's see how far I come.

@deadhead Your version has some swing and elegance. Nice!

@ohljazz Interesting phrasing and choice of chords. What is a 7 alt chord? I've seen it for the first time.

I'm psyched to listen to your ideas. Sketches, full songs, I don't care. I can only work on / produce 1-2 versions, but if there are more, I think about a playlist on YouTube or Soundcloud later. What do you think?

• @ohljazz  Feb 2022

Thanks @nadine! 7 alt chord is at least #9 + b13, can include a b9 as well. For this arrangement B7#9 would work as well and is probably more accurate from a music theory perspective.

• @nadine Feb 2022

Update on @deadhead version of the song. I added some instruments and mixed it. Final song is online here:
    https://fawm.org/songs/129878/

• @nadine Feb 2022

Did anybody continue on their drafts? I'm curious to listen :)

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...