Newbie Studio One/single mic Audiobox workflow ideas, tips, etc

Skip to the bottom

• @bcaldwellmusic Feb 2022

Feel like I'm already behind....
    Trying to figure out a good work flow for a simple set up: Inexpensive Condenser into audiobox usb96 into Studio 1 Daw. Also trying to figure out what I'm gonna do about drums and bass.

• @jwhanberry  Feb 2022

There are plenty of free drum machine and bass plugins out there. Find a couple and see what works for you.

• @jlampson  Feb 2022

I use Studio One and have a similar setup, save for having a Scarlett instead of the AudioBox. Embrace what you have! I've recorded stuff on my phone in a work lunch room in past FAWMs (very quietly).

For drums, I really like Addictive Drums, but that also costs money. Most drum software have tons of loops you can just drag in and change the tempo on.

I haven't personally found a bass plugin I like better than just playing my Fender Jazz bass. Octave pedals just sound wack. That said, maybe you can find some synth patches instead, depending on what you're trying to do? Or collaborate with someone like me who has a real bass!

• @aflinner  Feb 2022

Studio One user here as well. As far as workflow, what are you struggling with?

• @tseaver  Feb 2022

@bcaldwellmusic Do you play any electric bass at all? If so, you should be able to just plug it in directly to one of the "combo" inputs (both XLR and 1/4" jacks), and record it directly -- you can add an amp or effects to the track later, if you like.

• @bcaldwellmusic Feb 2022

Tbh, just got the interface hooked up and Studio one installed. Kind of overwhelmed what comes next. Let me poke around for a day or two and I'll come back with more concrete questions. I was just hoping to avoid wasting time newbie Studio One mistakes

• @tseaver  Feb 2022

@bcaldwellmusic I'm not a StudioOne user myself, but I can recommend Joe Gilder for broader home studio instruction.

Joe has a 100-video playlist on StudioOne tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WslWezLUXZ0&list=PL8i35_thZU6XXflI6jwYJV3tNM4LMRPua

• @jlampson  Feb 2022

@tseaver - Joe Gilder is the number-one reason I use Studio One. He just kept cranking out videos showing how he does things in S1 and I was like hey that looks easy let me try a demo and then their Black Friday sales came up and I was like sure and I'm definitely a convert. I would say I use 10% of what it offers, if that. Maybe FAWM 2023 will be a good incentive for me to try to get to 12%. Rock on!

• @loveonamixtape  Feb 2022

I've been struggling with my audiobox I feel like ever since I got it -- mainly, recording through it seems to produce an EXTREMELY quiet recording (like, barely audible) with mostly static. I clearly just have no idea what I'm doing, even though I'm quite tech literate and have even tried to work with PreSonus support. I'm using a Shure SM57 mic and bought brand new cables, so it shouldn't be the cables. I've tried in Studio One and in Reaper, checked my inputs, and it's the same problem all around. Anyone experience similar issue or know what I might be missing? Thank you!

• @nahlej381  Feb 2022

Hey! I love studio one, reach out with any questions I’d be happy to do a zoom meeting and walk through some stuff with ya or we can email and be like pen pals lol it’s intimidating at first but pretty much everything is drag and drop

• @gm7  Feb 2022

I too am a Studio One Pro user ver 5.5.
    Using a SM57 for recording guitar and maybe singing you need to ensure sure that you have enough gain. This type of mic work better with a preamp That would be a good addition to help with the recoding volume.

• @tseaver  Feb 2022

@loveonamixtape as @gm7 notes, the SM57 (as with many dynamic and ribbon mics) produces a low gain signal (particularly for acoustic instruments or vocals) compared to condenser mics, with have a tiny Amp circuit, powered by the 48V lphantom power on the mic cable. Typical solutions are to ad an "outbard" preamp box, or an "inline" one like the CloudLifter (or cheaper alternatives).

You can also play with mic positions to find the cleanest signal, and then gain it up in the DAW.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...