Songs You Wish Had A Bridge

Skip to the bottom

• @bcaldwellmusic Feb 2022

Discuss.

• @chipwithrow  Feb 2022

Interesting topic - I write a good amount of 12-bar blues and ballad/story songs that don't have bridges. And occasionally I'll get well-meaning suggestions that a song could use a bridge. Usually I think the song is fine as is. (The two songs I wrote today have bridges, by the way.)
    If you're asking about other artists' songs - Bob Dylan's "Tangled Up In Blue" (one of my absolute favorites) doesn't have or need a bridge. And last night I listened to Bruce Springsteen's "I'm Goin' Down" for the first time in a while - great rock and roll verse/chorus song, no bridge.
    Springsteen is actually quite a masterful bridge writer (builder?) in other songs.
    Back to Dylan - he has a cool one-chord song called "Political World." It's something like 10 verses long. Many years ago, I worked up an acoustic version that changed a couple of the verses to bridges.

• @tcelliott  Feb 2022

The River Is Wide

Hi Chip! So which songs do you wish had a bridge? I totally agree a song can be written without one.... But what songs are you like " pretty good song but it droned on..........really could have used a bridge. I was listening to a song yesterday that popped into my Spotify feed and initially I really liked it (totally passed the 30 second test), but I found my self losing interest half way through....Think it was a Langhorn Slim song....Anyway...
    Do any recording today or just songwriting?
    Trying to figure out a good work flow for a simple set up: Inexpensive Condenser into audiobox usb96 into Studio 1 Daw. Also trying to figure out what I'm gonna do about drums and bass.

@tcelliott Always liked Scotch and Soda, but Kingston Trio has never been my cup of tea. Needless to say, just took a listen and The River is Wide could definitely use a bridge....maybe a faster tempo too....

• @robheron1  Feb 2022

Hey -- that KT Scotch and Soda is a great song!...didn't know the KT could sound like that. Thanks! But I would call the section that starts 'People won't believe me...' a bridge. IMO

Now, I think Iggy Pop's Passenger needs a bridge but its already too long.

• @stephenwordsmith  Feb 2022

Troubled Waters, by Duke Ellington

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...