Hockey Fans?

Skip to the bottom

• @bradbrubaker  Jan 2022

After the horrendous team news that started the year for my Blackhawks, I've finally gotten back into watching, though slightly more viewing of my longtime #2 team, the Florida Panthers than my #1 Hawks.

• @metalfoot  Jan 2022

GO SENS GO!!!

• @jeustan  Jan 2022

Bird Tires fan circa early 90’s here. Pulling for Panthers this year.

I know the rivalry is long dead but it still kinda hurts me how skilled and fun to watch this Colorado team is.

• @roadreg Jan 2022

I'm dividing my attention 50/50 between FAWM and the Blackhawks - Kraken game right this second.

• @metalfoot  Jan 2022

@jeustan Yeah, it's not fun to see them in the Dead Things mold rather than high-flying Winged Wheels.

• @brownium  Jan 2022

I captain a team named Ragnarok (my player name is Lothbrok) in Austin Texas, and skate for another team called the Puckaneers. I also built a resource for the local hockey community called http://atxhockey.com. Don't watch much, but I love playing and participating in the hockey life.

• @tuneslayer  Jan 2022

@bradbrubaker @roadreg My Kraken just broke a 9-game losing streak. Sorry it had to be against your Blackhawks,

Hockey can be very educational. Thanks to the Kraken I recently learned a new sports term: DFL. If I tell you that the first and last letters in that abbreviation stand for "Dead" and "Last," I'll bet you can guess what the F stands for.

• @toms  Jan 2022

@metalfoot they are doing tons better than anyone expected, though!

• @metalfoot  Jan 2022

@toms I dare say a good sight better than my Sens!

@tuneslayer, I'm just glad that there are Seattle Kraken fans out there. Gotta love 'em through the rocky seasons to get to the good ones. Overall, last night's game was a good one.

• @toms  Jan 2022

@metalfoot yeah from what I have seen the sens are having a rough season in every possible way. Don't they have a few games to make up?

• @candle  Jan 2022

Well, my team went from losing in the finals last season, to losing most of their players to COVID & other issues, to simply just losing.

Go Habs Go?

See You In The Shadows…

• @tuneslayer  Jan 2022

@bradbrubaker Yeah it was a good game, both sides played hard right down to the wire. Fleury was really good, you're lucky to have him and we did well to win in the shootout.

Seattle sports fans are very loyal to their teams. We've lived through enough bad years to appreciate the good ones in any sport. What really surprises me is the amount of Kraken gear I see at away games. It can't all be because they have a cool logo.

• @roadreg Jan 2022

@tuneslayer Hey, it was a fun game at least and I'm happy for the Kraken. I got most of my kicks out of watching Fleury anyway!

@tuneslayer and @roadreg - Fleury is a beast.

• @metalfoot  Jan 2022

@toms I think most of the Canadian teams do because the COVID rules here are far more strict than stateside (which without getting into any sort of debate on the good/bad/ugly that way) meaning that it's just not feasible to have games in various spots right now with the NHL being such a gate-driven league.

• @tuneslayer  Jan 2022

I feel bad for the Habs fans out there because I know what you're going through. An Original Six team with 24 Stanley Cups on their resume and some nights you wonder, not just when these guys learned to play hockey, but *what time today* they learned. That was the Mariners until about 1995, minus the championships.

• @tuneslayer  Jan 2022

@bradbrubaker agreed, he might be old enough to be some of his teammates' dad but he's still got The Stuff.

• @jeustan  Jan 2022

Oh, I 'm also a Blue Jackets fan now. They have a sweet cannon.

• @toms  Jan 2022

@metalfoot btw my wife is from Buffalo and has been a hockey fanatic since their first season, so we're watching them in an empty sens arena tonight. :)

• @melvindm Jan 2022

Let's go caps!!

• @eric Jan 2022

@jeustan that cannon scares the shit out of me when I'm at the games! Even when I know it's coming!

• @eric Jan 2022

Go Whale?

• @bootlegger Jan 2022

Penguins fan here! Sorry everyone. Please don't hate me.

• @candle  Jan 2022

@bootlegger, you didn't say Boston or Toronto, so your ok in my books (even though I'm a closet Flyers fan LOL). ;)

@tuneslayer, it's a very hard time to be a fan des Habitants… But, perhaps it'll give us a good draft position for once. Unless we pull a Maple Leaf play & start actually winning games after it's mathematically impossible to make the playoffs & raise our standing above the prime draft positions. I mean, if you're gonna suck, do it to get a good draft pick!

See You In The Shadows…

Just watched the Panthers/Oilers. Man, if McDavid and Draisaitl had anyone else on the ice, they'd be unstoppable. The first period could have ended the game if Bob hadn't been holding it down in the net for the Panthers. Anyway, Panthers back on top of the league, hurray. Hated seeing Duncan Keith in an Oilers sweater though.

• @pbtaylorjr  Jan 2022

I live in Virginia and got into hockey as an adult. I wanted a team that my friends didn’t have, they had pretty much the whole region covered, so I went with the St. Louis Blues. I used to watch religiously but then I got tired of how often hockey games are played, how late the games for St. Louis would start in my time zone, and the joys of trying to find a way to watch games on tv/internet. Eventually I converted into being a Caps fan just for local convenience, but my passion for the sport has long since cooled off and I barely watch any these days. For whatever reason I just can’t bring myself to spend 3 hours every other night devoted to a sport that takes up most of the year, even though I still feel like enjoy the sport.

I also used to play recreationally in beer leagues but I “retired” due to the asshole nature of most players and the constant anger and violent feelings the game was inciting in me. (And Covid has put a hold on any thoughts of coming out of retirement.)

I’m sure both of the above issues are entirely with me. lol. But there’s my weird explanation of my love, hate, and indifference toward hockey.

@pbtaylorjr - I grew up in SE Virginia and, other than a few friends who went to see the minor league team solely for the fights, never heard a word about hockey until I moved to Chicago. Been a fan ever since.

• @candle  Jan 2022

As a born & bred Canuk, I grew up watching Hockey Night In Canada every Saturday night. Don Cherry (who has since fallen from grace) was always a highlight. I miss the voice of Bob Cole and his classic "Oh baby" when he calls a game. But, times have changed. Gretzky is retired, Patrick Roy isn't even coaching in the NHL anymore, & Cole Caufield & Nick Suzuki are the future of the franchise (we've come a long way from The Rocket!). The game has changed, but I still love it. The old rivalries stir my blood (sorry, I can never cheer for Boston or Toronto ;) ). I don't watch every night. Usually just HNIC on Saturdays. Its enough to keep my love of the game going.

See You In The Shadows…

@candle - Boston is the worst.

• @candle  Jan 2022

@bradbrubaker LOL

There was a promo on the French version of TSN (one of Canada's sports networks) years ago. They had a contest to send a lucky fan & a friend down to Boston to watch the Habs take on the Bruins. Well, the promo for the contest was brilliant! It takes place in this old-school barber shop (probably in old Montréal). So this young guy walks in wearing a Bruins sweater & asks for a haircut. The three old guys in the barber shop (because there's always just 3 old guys in barber shops - including the barber) kind of give him "the look". So then they cut to the contest details & come back to the guy sitting in the chair with his face all cut up & the barber leans forward with the mirror & a smile on his face & says: "Le Gerry Cheevers Special!". Still makes me laugh all these years later.

See You In The Shadows…

@candle Bwahahahahaha!

• @tuneslayer  Jan 2022

@candle I too caught Flyer fever back in '75-'76 when I lived in south Jersey. It was kind of hard not to, them being Stanley Cup champions and all. In fact what minor dislike I have for the Habs comes from them knocking out the Flyers 4-0 in the finals. But that was a long time ago.

• @candle  Jan 2022

@tuneslayer, I know I shouldn't like the Flyers because of the rivalry that was built around those playoffs in the '70's. But I've always liked them, going back to the Tim Kerr, Mark Howe, Ron Hextall '80's era team.

My Habs against their old provincial rivals now moved to Denver in half an hour. I'm not holding out for a good result.

See You In The Shadows…

• @scottlake Jan 2022

Moved to Colorado from Detroit in 2009. Allegiance will always be Wings but in CO you have to be careful flying that flag!

• @toms  Jan 2022

@candle we follow Big Ten and OHL in our house along with NHL, and I can tell you it was a joy watching both Caufield and Suzuki develop (why is Caulfield not scoring this year???) I'm not quite old enough to have seen Rocket Richard play, but I did see and have wonderful memories of the teams in the 60s with brother Henri and all of those astonishing players like Beliveau and Cournoyer. My dad's boss had a box at Olympia in Detroit at the time. (Also, Grapes has a youtube channel for his podcast, it's not quite as good as coach's corner but...anyway just fyi)

• @candle  Jan 2022

@toms, thank you for the tip re: Grapes. I did know that at one point in my life.

Well, the Habs did make it interesting in Denver tonight. Forced the Avs to OT. It was a much better game then I had expected, even tho they lost in OT. At least they came out with a point, which on this road trip, is saying something!

OK, gotta get to bed after watching the Battle of Alberta. 'night all!

See You In The Shadows…

• @tuneslayer  Jan 2022

@candle I was lucky enough to live in the Flyers coverage area back in the days of Bernie Parent, Bobby Clarke and the Broad Street Bullies. Those were the days when you really could go to the fights and wait for a hockey game to break out.

Nowadays I don 't actively dislike any team, certainly not like I do the Evilhatedyankees. Mostly I just shake my head in admiration and disbelief at players like Alex Ovechkin or Connor McDavid (both of whose Funko Pop figurines grace my collection) when their teams clobber the Kraken.

• @tuneslayer  Jan 2022

Well I got my laptop back from the shop just in time to watch the Kraken host the Florida Panthers. This should be fun if you're a Panthers fan or a masochist.

• @tuneslayer  Jan 2022

Annnnnnnnd . . . once in a while I get to be wrong in a good way. 5-3 Seattle, and we won both of our meetings against Florida this year. That was a pretty exciting final three minutes. I love when my team gets to score an empty net goal instead of getting one scored against them.

• @candle  Jan 2022

Go Kraken!

See You In The Shadows…

• @johnfahres Jan 2022

Went to the first pro hockey game since (about to date myself here) I was a teen in the 80's, back when Baltimore still had a pro team (the Skipjacks)! Last Tuesday, Flyers vs. Islanders.

• @torniojaws Jan 2022

Hockey is our national sport in Finland :) I try to follow NHL when I can, but the majority of games are at 2 AM so it's hard, so I mostly check out major playoffs games or some early day games.

No real favourite team, but I like Carolina for the game style. And it helps they have lots of Finns :D

@tuneslayer - As a Panthers fan, glad I did not watch that one.

• @tuneslayer  Jan 2022

@bradbrubaker It was a very good game for both sides. The Panthers were in it up until about 19:40 of the third period when they fell victim to the perennial nemesis of the 6-on-5 endgame, the empty net goal. But I can't blame you for not wanting to watch your team lose. I've done it often enough over here.,

@torniojaws I don't suppose there's a service that would allow you to watch game replays at a more reasonable time?

• @torniojaws Jan 2022

@tuneslayer sure, they show the game replays on our local TV, but by that time the result has usually been spoiled :D

• @tuneslayer  Jan 2022

@torniojaws you just have to avoid watching the sports scores from the US until you see the game.

Yeah I know, that's the hard part. :) Here on the West Coast the PAC-12 Network runs recent results at the bottom of the screen, so sometimes you'll be watching a replay of a game from two days ago, and the final result of that game will display. Makes it a bit hard to avoid.,

I guess there's a bright side though, if you know the Canes lost 5-2 to whichever team is 31st in the league, you can always avoid that game.

• @candle  Jan 2022

We won't talk about tonight's Habs vs Wild game.

At least one can rationalize it as it being the end of a long, hard, disappointing road trip. But I think there's going to big moves in Montreal between now & the trade deadline - & obviously in the off season.

It's a hard year to be a Habs fan.

See You In The Shadows…

• @tuneslayer  Jan 2022

There might be hope for my Kraken yet.

They came into Pittsburgh to face a Penguins team that won 17 of their last 19 and held them to a 0-0 tie after 40 minutes.

They tied the game at 1 with 4:00 left in the 3rd and forced the game into overtime.

And they put the puck past a red-hot Tristan Jarry for their first ever OT (non-shootout) win.

If they could keep this level of play up for the rest of the year I'd be happy if they played 50-50 hockey.

• @candle  Jan 2022

And my Habs came from behind & almost tied it up. They still got heart!

Our teams might do alright, @tuneslayer

See You In The Shadows…

• @tuneslayer  Jan 2022

@candle As long as your team gives each other and you 60+ minutes of their best hockey, what more can you ask?

• @tuneslayer  Feb 2022

Is it just me, or was the entire All-Star experience pretty underwhelming? I mean, I enjoyed seeing my guy Eberle score a goal and I'm sure he enjoyed playing alongside McDavid and Dreiseidl, but . . . the skills competition just kind of reminded me of one of those ersatz "sports" shows that get thrown together from time t time, especially with the lame post-event interview questions and equally lame replies,

There were a few fun moments though. I liked the pictures of Patrice Bergeron with his kids in their Bruins jerseys with the number 37 and "Daddy" in the name area.

• @jeustan  Feb 2022

"I don't know, Carrot Top, can you get this crowd going?"

- an actual line from the 2022 NHL All-Star experience

• @candle  Feb 2022

I've given up on the all-star weekend. It's like watching the world's best shinny game but for all the wrong reasons. The Carrot Top line is a killer… ouch.

Was watching the semi-final of the Scotties though (Canada Women's Curling Championship). That was a hell of a game. Went to an extra end. Northern Ontario won & goes onto the final tomorrow. Should be a great game.

Oh, sorry… this was the hockey thread…

Go Habs!

See You In The Shadows…

• @sheamiejay  Feb 2022

Leafs fan. Prepared for annual disappointment.

• @jacobeverettwallace  Feb 2022

GO PENS! I also root for the Kraken as my PNW team. I also learned how to play hockey last year and was doing awesome until I destroyed my knee while driving the net a couple weeks ago. 4 torn ligaments...ugh. But I freaking love playing hockey, wish I'd started when I was kid.

And All-Star games suck.

• @tuneslayer  Feb 2022

Yeah I watched a bunch of curling this afternoon. Interesting study in contrasts in commentators' styles vis-a-vis hockey. Curling is analytical and sedate, almost like they're discussing a game of chess. Hockey is mile-a-minute and frenetic.

• @tuneslayer  Feb 2022

@candle I first discovered hockey back in the 60s. Winter nights in south central Washington CBR radio from Calgary would come in clear & strong and early enough to listen to Hockey Night in Canada. That's how I became a hockey fan, from the music, if you will, of the announcers' calls.

(Oops, I just fat fingered hitting the "edit" icon and reported myself. Sorry, mods.)

• @tuneslayer  Feb 2022

As I type this the Canada-ROC women's hockey game at the Olympics has been delayed because Team Canada, for whatever reason, has not yet taken the ice for the puck drop The game has almost been delayed an hour now.

So there's an idea for a song thread: since we don't have any idea what's going on, and no one is talking yet, we are allowed to speculate in the form of a song.

• @mardeycranbleson  Feb 2022

To put it very simply chord progressions are like scales. You can run up the scale and certain intervals on the piano or guitar will work. Then, each of those chords can be made into major minor or say 7th chords and most of those can be made to work. That’s pretty much it.

• @heuristicsinc  Feb 2022

So the NHL season is kinda ruined by my Sabres being sucky as usual, but I'm enjoying the Olympics women's games. Let's pretend the NHL is not happening.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...